ATTORNEY, OF COUNSEL
Ed Powell practices in the corporate, securities, finance and banking law areas, with a focus on strategic and commercial matters including mergers and acquisitions, business financings and capital raising rounds, commercial transactions, ’33 Act offerings and ’34 Act reporting, ’40 Act compliance, regulatory matters and corporate governance and compliance.
With nearly two decades of legal experience, both as in-house corporate counsel and with top private law firms, Ed’s practice emphasizes the drafting, negotiation, and review of contracts, including financing agreements, asset and business acquisitions and dispositions, commercial agreements, equity and debt offerings, strategic transactions, investments and securities trading. Ed represents entrepreneurs, businesses, financial institutions and investment funds at all stages of development and need, including entity and fund formation, management and maintenance, financings and capital raising rounds, acquisitions and dispositions, corporate planning and risk management, and workouts and restructurings.
Ed received his J.D. from The University of California, Berkeley, where he was an Editor of the California Law Review, and his B.A. with Highest Honors from The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. Ed is a member of the State Bar of California.
Ed has served as a member of the Board of Directors of ACT1 of the American Conservatory Theater and the Professional Division of the Arts & Science Council. Ed also is a regular speaker and contributor to legal and industry groups and journals on topics including commercial transactions, banking, antitrust, mergers and acquisitions and technology.
• Represented clients in mergers and acquisitions totaling over $15 billion in value.
• Represented clients in commercial real estate loans, finance facilities, repurchase agreements and commercial and mezzanine loans, totaling over $5 billion in value.
• Represented clients in fixed income and floating rate, public and private, domestic and international CMBS/ABS and CLO/CDO offerings totaling over $18 billion in value.
• Established and advised numerous investment funds, including equity and debt portfolios, managed accounts, CLO’s and CDO’s, distressed debt and other managed funds, and provide advice for LSTA/LMA debt trading, ISDA and other derivative agreements.
• Represented underwriters and companies in early stage, IPO and secondary offerings totaling over $5 billion in value.
• Represent clients in derivatives transactions, including interest rate and timing hedges, credit default swaps and perfect asset swaps.
Activities & Affiliations
•State Bar of California
University of California, Berkeley
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Bachelor of Arts